Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (Ontario PNP)
The Ontario Immigration Nominee Program (OINP) enables international workers, international students and others with the required skills, education and experience to apply towards a nomination for permanent residence in the province of Ontario. The Ontario PNP is administrated by the government of Ontario is partnership with the federal government. The Ontario Nominee Program is made up of the following categories which are further divided into various streams
A. Employer job offer Category
The category for employer job requires applicants to have a full time and permanent job offer from an employer in the province before being eligible to apply. The category is further divided into the following streams.
1. International Worker Stream
The International Worker Stream provides, skilled workers from abroad who have a valid job offer at skill level A, B or O in the NOC from an employer in Ontario, the pathway to apply for permanent residence in the province. This stream is open to eligible international workers who are residing in Canada as well as outside the country at the time of application.
2. International Student Stream
The International Student Stream allows international students, holding a valid job offer in an occupation listed under skill level A, B or skill type O in the NOC, to apply for provincial nomination from Ontario. The stream can be accessed by foreign students both in and out of Canada at the time of application
3. In-Demand Skills Stream
The In-Demand Skills Stream provides foreign workers who have a valid job offer from an employer in Ontario for in-demand occupations, the pathway to apply for Ontario PNP.
B. Human capital
The human capital category for Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program is divided into two sub-categories, the Ontario’s Express Entry and the International graduate streams
1. International graduates’ stream
International students who have graduated from a university in Ontario, are eligible to apply for Ontario PNP under the international graduate’s stream. If you want to apply under this stream, then you must have graduated from a recognized Ontario university and should apply within two years of obtaining your degree. The following sub categories are available under this stream
- Masters Graduate Stream: This stream allows international graduates who have a master’s degree from the province to apply for provincial nomination under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
2. PhD Graduate Stream: This stream allows graduates who have earned a PhD degree from universities in Ontario to apply for provincial nomination under the Ontario PNP.
You will need to meet some or all of the eligibility requirements outlined below on a case to case basis.
- You must have completed the required minimum education level for your stream. i.e. for the graduate stream you should have completed your master’s degree and for the PhD stream you will need to have completed your doctoral studies from a university in Ontario. In case of PhD stream, you will need to have completed a minimum of two years of PhD in Ontario
- You should not have any clause in your scholarship or grant, if any, that stipulates that you need to return to your country of origin after the study period is over
- You should be a legal resident of the province for at least one out of the two immediately preceding years.
- You should demonstrate with sufficient proof that you have the required funds or steady stream of income to support you and your family in Canada
- You must show with a sufficient level of plausibility your intention to settle in Ontario.
- If you are applying from within Ontario, you will need to have and maintain a legal status of your stay in Ontario, such as study permit, visitor record or work permit.
C. Ontario Express Entry Program
The Ontario’s Express Entry program is intended for those applicants who have submitted their profile for the Express entry program and are keen on settling in Ontario. The program consists of the following sub categories
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream: This stream is intended for French speaking international workers who are proficient in English as well
- Human Capital Priorities Stream: This stream is intended for international workers who have the required work experience, skills, education and language proficiency to contribute effectively to the economic growth of the province
- Skilled Trades Stream: This stream is intended for international workers who have the required skills to take up a successful trade in the province of Ontario.
D. Business category
The business category is yet another category under which an interested person can apply for Ontario Immigration Nominee Program. The category has the following two streams that fall under it.
- Corporate stream:You can apply for provincial nomination under this stream if you are heading an international corporation that is looking to purchase or expand an already existing business in the province.
- Entrepreneur stream: You can apply for this stream if you are an entrepreneur residing outside Canada and are planning to buy an existing business or start a new one in the province of Ontario
For more detailed information on any of the above streams get in touch with our expert Canada immigration consultants
Q). Is it Mandatory to have a Job Offer to apply for Ontario PNP?
A). No. It is not required that you have a job offer when you apply for immigration to Ontario, however you will find it to be an advantage if you do. You can know more about the requirements and process for Ontario PNP by visiting us for a free consultation
Q). What is the time required for processing OINP?
A). the time taken for processing for OINP will vary as per the stream you are applying for, as well as your personal profile. For a detailed assessment of your profile and to gauge your eligibility for OINP, get in touch with our expert immigration consultants.