A CAREER IN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING
Specialized field of studyBiomedical engineering has emerged over the recent years as a specialized field of study while Studying in Abroad. The field applies the principles of engineering and design to the field of medicine in order to help health care professionals make a better diagnosis and therapy. Some of the more recent and famous applications of the field include the development of diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices such as micro-implants and biocompatible prostheses.
What Does a Biomedical Engineer Do?A Biomedical Engineer essentially uses his expertise in Biology as well as engineering to develop new devices and procedures to find new and innovative solutions for clinical problems. Many Biomedical Engineers work on new research in the field of medicine. Some of the duties they perform are
- Installing and maintaining biomedical equipment
- Designing equipment which includes artificial organs, replacement body parts, and diagnosis machines such as MRIs and X-rays as well as training technicians on their proper usage
- Evaluating safety and efficiency of the equipment
- Working with scientists and professionals from related fields to improve research on the field and presenting findings of research to colleagues and to a public.
How to become a Biomedical EngineerIn order to take up a career as a biomedical engineer, a student needs to take up a bachelor or masters course on the subject. Before this, the student should have taken up science in high school with subjects such as chemistry, biology, and physics. Programs in the subject are offered by many of the top universities in the world and include both class-based and lab based courses. A typical course can take up to five years to complete. Some of the best places for studying biomedical engineering are:
- The University of Cambridge: Study in UK, The University of Cambridge offers a BSc in biomedical engineering to prospective students. The course is taught by the faculty of biological sciences and is considered one of the best in the world.
- Harvard school of engineering and applied sciences: Study in USA, The Harvard School of Engineering offers a degree in the subject which bears the stamp of Harvard and is taught by the same high caliber faculty that Harvard is famous for.
- Rochester institute of technology: The Rochester Institute of Technology offers a degree in the subject which aims to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to apply engineering know how to address medical problems in an effective manner
- University of Sheffield: Study in UK, offers one of the most highly respected courses on the field in the world. The course at UoS focuses on improving the lives of people through its research on the subject
- ETH Zurich: ETH in Switzerland offers a course in the subject which is considered as one of the best in Europe.
Career prospects in Biomedical EngineeringBiomedical Engineering is a relatively new field and employment opportunities are only expected to increase. The annual median salary is around 87,000 USD and is expected to increase. The salary at the higher end of the spectrum was more than 140,000 USD To know more about Biomedical Engineering as a subject and how you can pursue a career in it, get in touch with Global Tree at Begumpet, Hyderabad, and the Best overseas education consultants in India.
[Read More: Top 5 Universities to Study Comedian Course!]