Study in USA for Students - All you need to know!
Studying in USA is most desired option amongst Indian Students for its revolutionary research, innovation and entrepreneur opportunities. USA stands at #1 position in attracting international students for higher education according to IIE Survey.
It’s not just 1 or two reasons for USA being the top choice for students to Study Abroad there are many. USA as a country, offers a package of being home to World’s top 17 Universities, infinite varieties of courses, diverse culture, and endless employment opportunities for International Students.
Why to Study in USA?
- Most of the top-ranked universities in the world are situated in the United States, which is not a coincidence, as the United States invests heavily in research infrastructure as well as the quality of academics. The United States also has the distinction of being home to the most number of universities
- There is a huge demand for students who graduate from US universities, both in and out of the USA. For students who plan to stay in the country, a study in the USA offers them the opportunity to find work through the OPT or CPT program, and continue Living in the United States on a Work Visa once they find a more permanent job. Moreover, the USA has some of the top companies listed on the Fortune 500. Is it a wonder that the USA is known as the land of opportunities?!
- Students, who study in the USA, are least likely to be homesick as the United States is blessed with a diverse population that comes from various geographical locations as well as ethnic backgrounds. This makes it easy to adjust and settle down, and also perform better in their careers later on
- The education system in the United States is extremely flexible. Students can choose from a vast variety of subjects, right from high school to cater to their unique tastes and needs. Moreover, there are endless combinations of subjects that they can choose to graduate in
- If you are looking for inspiration to study in the USA, then do we need to look beyond our very own Indira Nooyi, Sundar Pichai, Satya Nadella, or Parag Agarwal? All of whom have used the opportunity to study in the USA, to hone their skills and boost their careers to reach the very top of their professions.
- a.Indira Nooyi polished off her distinguished academic history with a Master’s degree from the Yale School of Management and went on to become the CEO of PepsiCo.
- b.Sundar Pichai too enhanced his Indian education with an MS from Stanford University and an MBA from Wharton School and rose to the position of CEO of Alphabet, the parent company of Google
- c.Satya Nadella completed his MS from the University of Wisconsin and his MBA from Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago
- d.Mr. Parag Agarwal, IIT alumni who moved to the USA for his MS and Ph.D. in Computer science, has recently taken over the charge as CEO of Twitter. He is a 37-year-old machine learning and AI expert. Explore the Global Opportunities for your career by studying abroad.
[Read More: Top Ranked Universities to Study in USA]
One thing all these and many other high achievers have in common, apart from their drive to succeed in their decision to study in the USA, while they got the chance. So what are you waiting for? Get in touch with us to know more about how you can study in the USA.
Popular Courses to Study in USA
United States offers a wide range of programs in almost every field, but some are more popular among international students than others. STEM courses are particularly popular, but there are many other great programs available as well. Here are few top courses to apply as an international applicant
|MS in Data Science||Masters in Business Analytics||Masters in Finance|
|MS in Computer Science||MS in Data Analytics||Masters in Management|
|MS in Civil Engineering||MS in Artificial Intelligence||BBA|
|MS in Engineering Management||M.Arch||Masters in Cybersecurity|
|B.Tech||Masters in Economics||Masters in Supply Chain Management|
|Masters in Mechanical Engineering||Masters in Project Management||Masters in Information Systems|
|B.Sc Computer Science||Masters in International Business||Masters in Digital Marketing|
How to Study in USA? Step-by-Step Guide
Easing out the process of studying in USA, here are six easy steps to Study in USA for Indian Students.
1. Choose Which University to Apply to Study in USA
Deciding which university to apply is often the most daunting task for any student. One must choose a university based on their own preferences like course to study in USA, fees, location, scholarships, weather conditions, etc. For students who feel it as a difficult task, can take help of USA Education experts for complete Career Guidance.
2. Meet the Eligibility Requirements
In order to study in the USA, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. These requirements vary depending on your nationality and the type of program you are applying for. Generally, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, and you may also need to take standardized tests such as the SAT or IELTS. Check your Eligibility to Study in USA here.
3. Apply for Admission
Once you have chosen a program and university, you will need to apply for admission. The application process will vary from university to university, but it will typically involve submitting your academic transcripts, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and an essay.
4. Obtain a Student Visa
In order to study in the USA, you will need to obtain a student visa. The visa application process can be lengthy, so it is important to start the process early. You will need to provide proof of admission to a US university, financial support, and a clean criminal record.
5. Arrange for Accommodation and Finances
You will need to arrange for accommodation and finances before you come to the USA. There are many different options for accommodation, such as on-campus housing, off-campus apartments, and home stays. You will also need to budget for your living expenses, tuition, and other costs.
6. Arrive in the USA and Start your Studies!
Once you have your visa, you can book your flights and travel to the USA. When you arrive, you will need to register with your university and start your studies.
Here are some additional tips for studying in the USA as an international student
- Start planning early. The application process can take several months, so it is important to start planning as early as possible.
- Be prepared to spend money. Studying in the USA can be expensive, so be prepared to spend money on tuition, accommodation, food, and other expenses.
- Learn about the culture. The USA is a diverse country with a rich culture. Take some time to learn about the culture before you come, so that you can make the most of your experience.
- Get involved. There are many opportunities to get involved on campus and in the community. Get involved in clubs, sports, or volunteer activities to meet new people and make friends.
- Stay connected with your family and friends back home. It is important to stay connected with your family and friends back home, especially during the first few months.
What are USA Intakes: Application Cycle
The application cycle for studying in the USA is divided into three terms: Fall, Spring, and Summer.
The application deadlines for different universities in the USA vary, so it's always best to check with the specific university you are interested in. However, here are some general guidelines for when to apply to study in the USA:
- Fall semester:
- The application deadline for fall semester is typically in January or February.
- Fall Semester in USA starts from August and ends in December/January
- Spring semester:
- The application deadline for spring semester is typically in October or November.
- Spring Semester in USA Starts from January and ends in May.
- Summer semester:
- The application deadline for summer semester is typically in May or June.
- Summer Semester in USA starts in June and ends in July. Its only 2 months long and shortest of all semesters.
How to Study in USA after 12th for Indian Students?
It's important to note that some universities have rolling admissions, which means that they accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. Other universities have early decision or early action deadlines, which give you a better chance of being admitted if you apply early.
Top FAQs Asked by Students Travelling to USA
It is more than worth studying in USA as the nation promises a high quality of education and bright career prospects for many international students. Plus, a major number of top universities in the world are located in the USA. Here are the greatest benefits of studying in USA for Indian students.
- Global Exposure
- Flexible Course Selection
- "Undecided" option for undergraduate students
- Graduation in multiple fields at a time
- Switching to other majors in the middle of program
- Prestigious degree
Study in USA is an expensive commitment. But this reason should not stop you in your way to achieve it. There are plenty of ways to fund your education being an international student. There are government funded and on-government scholarship programs for eligible students. Here are some of those.
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Fulbright- Nehru Fellowships
- AAUW International Fellowships
- #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship
- Location of the University
Here is a five step simple process for International students to follow to study in USA:
Research for your options.Based on the education you are planning to pursue, know what all the options to consider. USA offers six different degree levels – Associates, Bachelors, first-professionals, Masters, Advanced Intermediates, and Research Doctorates. Another level of degree offered by USA is through Post-doctoral Research Program.
Find the best College/University in USADepending on your course requirement, type of institution, locations, and quality of education, choose the best colleges suitable to you. Our USA Education counselors can help you with list of USA Universities and selection of Universities.
Plan your FinancesCheck how much it will cost for studying in USA and plan your finances accordingly like Bank balance, scholarship programs, Grants, etc.
Finish the Application ProcessComplete the application process for USA universities without any fail. Not sure about how to complete the application? Check here out to know complete application process to study in USA.
Apply for USA Student VisaOnce you get the invitation to apply from any USA universities, proceed to applying for USA student visa. Once all visa procedures are finished, prepare for departures.
- Location of the University
In the United States, the cost of a full-time MBA course is 23.16lakhs (approx), a full-time MS course is 17.61lakhs (approx), and a full-time BE/ B Tech course is 22.00lakhs (approx) per year. And the cost of studying in private colleges and public universities differ accordingly. The tuition fee in USA varies as per the course chosen. Cost of education in USA cannot be a deciding factor to measure the quality of education as USA promises an extreme level of standards.
Along with tuition fees, we need to consider all the other expenses to know Cost of Living in USA for Indian Students.
Studying in USA can be expensive. But, there are many universities in USA that provide scholarships for International students aiding the financials. Some of them are fully funded university scholarships which can cover all the expenses. Plus, USA has tuition free universities where, Students can study there for free.
Here is the list of Tuition free Universities in USA for International Students
- State of Washington Universities.
- City University of New York (CUNY).
- Alice Lloyd College.
- Berea College.
- Webb Institute.
- College of the Ozarks.
- Curtis Institute of Music.
- U.S. Academies.
There is no age limit to Study in USA. As is it is never too late to study, join USA universities whenever you are comfortable. But to study in USA universities, minimum 17 years of age is mandatory.
Absolutely, USA is a famous destination for Indian students who have qualified 12th standard in India.
IELTS is mandatory to secure USA student visa as you should prove your English language proficiency. So minimum IELTS score required to study in USA in Band 6.0.
- Valid Passport
- Online Application form print out – DS-160
- University Invitation Letter
- Proof of Fees payment
- Passport size photographs
[Read More: Required Documents for USA Student Visa]
List of affordable universities in USA are,
- University of Houston - 18,000 - 22,000 USD
- Purdue University - 20,000 - 30,000 USD
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - 13,000 - 35,000 USD
- Binghamton University, State University of NY - 24,000 - 27,000 USD
- Stony Brook University, State University of NY - 19,000 - 24,000 USD
- Clemson University - 21,000 - 27,000 USD
- University of Tulsa - 18,000 - 24,000 USD
- Michigan Technological University - 19,000 - 23,000 USD
- Florida International University - 16,000 - 34,000 USD
- San Diego State University - 13,000 - 16,000 USD
The English tests, which are acceptable to study in USA, are
Other standard tests that are acceptable in USA are,
MS course duration in USA usually will be for 1.5 - 2 years of full-time course. Some selected courses like computer science can be even 3 years too. Shorter duration courses are also available in USA universities.
- Master’s in Business Administration
- Master’s in Nursing
- Master’s in Finance and Economics
- Master’s in Electrical Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
[Read More: Most Lucrative Degrees for Study in USA]
On an average, the graduates who completed Masters in USA can receive salary of 50,000 USD – 100,000USD. And the alumni record shows the salary bar rising after a decade. Here is the approximate salary bars for different fields.
- Computer Science - $104,000
- Business - $91,000
- Engineering - $91,000
- Mathematics & Sciences - $76,000 (varies as per experience)
- Social sciences - $72,000
- Communications - $54,000
- Petroleum Engineering - $93,200
- Operations Research & Industrial Engineering -$84,800
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (EECS)- $108,500
- Interaction Design -$68,300
- Public Accounting -$59,800
As the hike in population and skilled immigrants, the competition is high to get a job in USA which has become quite challenging for MS students. So it is suggested in opting Optional Practical Training route to stay back and grab the higher chances to get a job after masters.