A COMPLETE GUIDE FOR DEPENDENT VISA PROCESS TO USA!
Prepare for your Dependent Visa Process to United States of America!
It has been surveyed proven, researched, and perceived with all the statistics and evidence that Indians are on the top list of the immigration to the USA. Mexico occupied the first place for immigration to USA while India has been pushed to 2nd.
The US government has provisions to allow the immigrants to bring in their families to live with them for the duration of their stay in the country.
The eligibility criteria to sponsor the dependent differs for different visa categories visa and in most cases, the dependent family members are not allowed to work or earn any income during their stay in the USA.
In this blog, we have listed a few of them for the reader's reference.
H4 Dependent Visa
An H4 Visa holder is eligible to sponsor the spouse and dependent children until 21 years of age. After 21 years the H4 Dependent Visa will be no more valid and the children, if desire to enter the USA, must apply for B2 Visa.
The H4 visa is issued to dependent family members (spouse and children) of immigrants who enter the USA under an H1-B visa can accompany the H1-B visa holder by applying for and obtaining the H4 visa.
The primary applicant is the H1-B visa holder and is required to apply on behalf of their dependents.
Eligible Applicants for a Dependent H4 Visa Application
The spouse and dependent children of the primary applicant who are less than 21 years of age are eligible to accompany the primary applicant on a H4 visa which is otherwise called Dependent Visa USA.
Documents required for Dependent Visa Process
- The H1-B Visa holder's approval notice approved by USCIS's copy for the proof
- Copy of I-129 petition
- Marriage Certificate if entering US as spouse, or birth certificate if entering US as son/daughter of H1-B Visa holder
- The Dependent Visa applicant's passport should be valid for at least six months from the application date
Terms and Conditions for H4 Dependent Visa Process
The applicant can apply for H4 visa for his dependents along with his application for H1B. The following rules apply for staying in USA on an H4 Visa Process.
- Persons living on H4 cannot be employed unless they have been granted EAD (Employment Authorization Document).
- Persons living in USA on H4 are eligible to drive in USA and get a driver's license
- They can pursue education but only restricted to short-term courses. For a long term course, they will need to obtain an F1 visa which is otherwise called a study visa USA
- H4 visa holders can open bank accounts in their own name and file for a TIN (Tax Identification Number)
- H4 visa holders cannot get a social security number (SSN), which can be identified for H1-B Visa Holders.
L2 Dependent Visa
The L2 dependent visa is issued to Dependent family members who accompany a L1 or intracompany transfer visa holder to USA.
Eligibility Criteria for L2 Visa Application
The spouse and dependent children of the primary applicant who are less than 21 years of age are eligible to accompany the primary applicant on a L2 visa.
Terms and Conditions applicable for L2 Visa process
The applicant can apply for L2 visa for his dependents along with his application for L1. Intracompany transfer visa. The following rules apply for persons staying in USA on a L2 visa.
- Persons with L2 visa can undertake employment during their stay in USA.
- Persons living in USA on L2 are permitted to drive provided with documents.
- They can apply to convert their visa to other non-immigrant visa types such as F1, B1, and L1.
- They can open bank accounts in their own name and file for a TIN (Tax Identification Number) and social security number (SSN).
- They can pursue higher studies during their stay in USA.
F2 Dependent Visa Process
The F2 dependent visa is granted to Dependent family members of students who are currently studying in USA on a F1 visa.
[Read More: H1B Visa Process Guidelines]
Terms and Conditions for F2 Visa holders
- The F2 visa holder cannot seek employment during their stay in USA.
- The F1 visa holder has to take care of all financial responsibility for the expenses incurred by the F2 visa holder.
- The F2 visa holder cannot pursue full-time study while living in the US.
For more information on Dependent Visa, USA, and other Visa processes, Immigration to other countries, Contact Global Tree Overseas Education and Immigration Consultants, who are certified consultants in immigration with expert counseling team.
Log on to our website now to find the branch near to you because Global Tree has 15 branches across India.