Canada Work Visa from India – Eligibility, Document Checklist, How to Apply & More
Canada has one of the world's most developed economies. Canada is a fantastic choice for job seekers wishing to work abroad. With a Work Visa Canada, businesspeople, permanent residents, temporary workers, and students can all work in Canada.
Immigrants planning to work in Canada should apply for a work permit, as it is the only method to work in Canada for a certain period of time. An immigrant must have a valid job offer or be hired by a Canadian company before applying for a work visa in Canada.
Types of Canada Work Visas
In Canada, there are various options for obtaining a work permit. Some work permits need a job offer from a Canadian employer, while others require the company to submit a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), and still, others require a Canadian link (previous education, spousal sponsorship, etc.). The following are the categories of Canada work permits:
[Read More: Key Documents Required For Canada Immigration From India]
Programs Requiring a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
- Facilitated LMIA (Quebec)
- Global Talent Stream
Programs with LMIA-Exempt but requiring a valid Canadian job offer
- International Mobility Program (IMP)
- NAFTA Work Permits
- CETA Work Permits
- Intra-Company Transfers
Open Work Permits (no job offer or LMIA required)
- Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP)
- Spousal Sponsorship from Inside of Canada
- International Experience Canada (IEC) (working holiday visa)
- Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
- Spouse Accompanying International Student or Worker
Permanent residents do not require a work permit to work in Canada. Permanent residents have the legal right to live and work in any part of the country. Learn more about Canada PR here.
Eligibility to Apply for Canada Work Permit
The eligibility criteria to apply for a Canada work permit differ for each type of visa. Irrespective of the visa application, here is the list of eligibility to get the Canada work permit.
- One must prove to the immigration official that you plan to leave Canada after your work permit expires;
- Demonstrating that you and your family will be able to support yourselves and their families while in Canada with your income;
- You must have no criminal record (a police clearance certificate may be required);
- You must not endanger Canada's security.
- You must be in good health and undergo a medical examination if necessary
- You must prove that you have no intention of working for a corporation with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with Canadian standards.
- You must prove that you have no plan to work for an employer who sensual jobs regularly
- You must present the officer with any other papers they require to prove your eligibility to enter the nation.
Documents required to get a Canada Work Permit
Get the below checklist of documents required for a Canada work visa.
- A valid passport, as well as any previous passports, is required.
- A visa to Canada requires three pictures with specifications - 33mm width and 48mm length, No teeth, neutral expression, plain white background, Recent photograph, 80% of face coverage, Both eyes open and visible, Headgear only for religious purposes, and thin-rimmed eyewear only for medical purposes.
- Forms that have been filled out and signed.
- Valid Job offer or Employment contract from a recognized Canadian organization.
- Bank statements, Form -16, a passbook, payslips, and other financial statements
- Proof that you will return to your native country after your Canadian visa expires.
- Police identity documents and civil status clearances demonstrating no criminal records (if requested).
- A certificate from a doctor confirming that you are free of chronic sickness (if requested).
- A cover letter detailing your goal, purpose, and duration of travel.
- Proof of status in Canada (if applicable)
- Family member’s proof of status (if applicable)
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (if applicable)
- A written offer of employment (if applicable)
- CV/ Resume
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (if applicable)
- Proof that you meet all the job requirements
- Proof of payment for applicable government fees for the visa applied
[Read More: Is It Worth Migrating To Work In Canada?]
How to Apply for Canada Work Permit?
Canada work permit can be applied both online and offline. For online application submission, you must visit the official Canada Government website and select the work permit. When it comes to offline,
How to apply for a Canada work permit online for Indians:
- Visit the official Canadian government website and check the menu for Immigration and citizenship option
- Select the Work option and go to the Work permit option
- Choose the relevant options as asked and select the “Apply for work permit”
- Select the how to apply option and choose the country India.
- Select the online application from the drop-down menu
- Create an account on the website, sign in and fill up the application form with accurate details.
- Apply for a thorough check of the details.
- Upload necessary documents
- Finish the payment for the Canada Work permit.
- Schedule your appointment at the Canada Visa Application center and Visa interview.
- Finish the Biometrics submission and submit the digital photograph at VAC.
- Visit the embassy for a visa interview on the scheduled appointment
- Once all interviews are completed, successful candidates will receive the Approval letter from Canadian Consulate.
How to apply for a Canada work permit offline for Indians:
The application process for a Canada work permit offline is similar to filling out the application form. Later download the form and with all documents apply at the nearest VAC. Later the process is the same as the online process.
How long does it take to get a Canada worker visa?
The length of time it takes to process a work permit application is determined by the type of work permit requested and the applicant's current country of residency. The processing duration varies from a few weeks to several months.
How long will it take to process my LMIA application?
A normal LMIA and a simplified LMIA are the two types of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications. Only Quebec residents have access to the streamlined LMIA. The ordinary LMIA is handled on an individual basis, with processing durations varying dramatically from one applicant to the next. A standard LMIA application usually takes at least five months to receive a response.
If an employer qualifies for Canada's Global Talent Stream, they may be able to get their LMIA processed faster. In most cases, the streamlined LMIA completed for Quebec employment is processed in two to three months.
What is the duration of the Canada Work visa?
Canada's temporary employment visa is only good for 6 months. After then, you have the option of requesting an extension from the Consulate or returning to your home country. You are only allowed to stay in Canada for a total of 4 years with any extensions.
How much is the Canada Work visa fees for Indians?
| Visa type
||Applicable fees (CAD)
|| Applicable fees (INR)
|Work permit /per person
|Work permit /per group
|Open work permit
Our Canada work permit experts at Global Tree can help you with the job search and help you till you gain a job offer from a Canadian company.
Here is the list of funds required for a Canadian work visa.
| No.of family members (in CAD)
|For each additional family member